The ENS did a great job reporting about the opening of the High-level Conference on World Food Security: the Challenges of Climate Change and Bioenergy. In my opinion, the most noteworthy part is when Dr. Jacques Diouf, the director of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, pointed out the shameful contrast between what we waste and how relatively little it would take to eradicate world hunger. After pointing out the trillions spent yearly on militarism and the billions of dollars worth of food wasted, Dr. Diouf asked, “How can we explain to people of good sense and good faith that it was not possible to find US$30 billion a year to enable 862 million hungry people to enjoy the most fundamental of human rights: the right to food and thus the right to life?” Resources that could go towards feeding the hungry and eradicating poverty are spent on expensive and needlessly destructive endeavors such as the occupation of Iraq and the war on drugs like marijuana. I could never describe how intensely that upsets me.
Posted in Poverty News | Discuss at Hunger Forums • Poverty In Africa Sponsoring a Child Helps Provide Health Care, Education & Food.
www.ChristianChildrensFund.org • Global Food Crisis Surging prices worldwide causing families to suffer. You can help!
www.mercycorps.org/foodcrisis • Food for the Hungry Making a difference in hard places to overcome all forms of poverty!
www.FH.org • Sponsor a Child A struggling child needs help today Are you ready to change a life?
www.SavetheChildren.org/sponsor • Feed Hungry Children Childcare Worldwide feeds children in third-world countries.
www.childcareworldwide.org • World Help Children of the World Choir Help for Today Hope for Tomorrow
www.worldhelp.net • Real solutions to poverty Turn goodwill into effective action
www.acton.org/impact/ • Feed The Children Helping poor, hungry and famine- stricken children worldwide.
www.FeedTheChildren.org • Living with Hunger Harrowing film about the reality of surviving with hunger in Ethiopia
www.insightnewstv.com/hunger • Help Us Save Lives Please, help us Change the World One Child at a Time. Thanks!
www.chrf.org By Erin Fitzgerald Four children of different backgrounds stand in a line clasping hands and smiling. In this carefree scene filled with lush green grass and blooming flowers, these children don’t have to worry about equal opportunities in life. Their futures are shining brightly, and their dreams are well within their grasp. But this perfect society is only an illusion. A dream that 16-year-old Wilda Vasquez Ibanez, a sponsored youth, portrays in her mural titled “Right to Equality.” The reality is much harsher for children in impoverished countries. Here in Guatemala, where Wilda lives, some families can’t even afford to buy nutritional food, let alone help their children pursue an education. Their children’s futures are dim, shadowed by a lack of knowledge and a society where the poor often can’t break free of poverty. Wilda completed her “Right to Equality” painting as part of a contest organized by social organizations. Painting has helped her overcome her shyness, and she hopes to attend college. In the meantime, she wants people to learn from and understand one another through her paintings. “Age, color, gender and race are not important,” Wilda said. “We are all human and should receive the same opportunities.”
Visual messages serve as an important tool of communication in Latin America, where reading isn’t stressed as much as it is in the United States, said Vickie Coromac, Children International’s regional director for Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean. “Some of the adolescents in our program in Latin America found that a good way to reach others was using visual art,” Coromac said. “You retain an image better. It stays in your brain.” While impoverished families may still struggle to find work and send their children to school, sponsorship – and paintings like Wilda’s – give them a reason to dream. Wellington Gonzalez and Astrid Salazar of United International’s Guatemala City project office contributed this report to Children International’s web site.
Help Fight World Poverty • According to UNICEF, 30000+ children die each day due to poverty, or over 9.8 million children a year. • Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.
• The death rate for children under the age of 5 is an unbelievable 210000 week, approx 11 million a year.
• 1 billion children, every 2nd child in the world is currently in poverty.
• 640 million children go without adequate shelter. • 400 million children do not have access to safe water.
• 270 million children have no access to health services.
• 1.4 million children die each year from lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation.
• 2.2 million children die each year because they are not immunized. 15 million children are orphaned yearly due to HIV/AIDS.
• Half the world’s population nearly three billion people live on less than two dollars a day. [Numbers are according to the World Bank.]
• There is nearly a billion people in the world that are unable to read a book or sign their names. [The State of the World's Children, 1999, UNICEF]
• Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific. [World Resources Institute Pilot Analysis of Global Ecosystems, February 2001]
• 1.3 billion people live on less than one dollar a day. [The Reality of Aid 2000, (Earthscan Publications, 2000), p.10]
• 3 billion live on under two dollars a day. [The Reality of Aid 2000, (Earthscan Publications, 2000), p.10]
• 1.3 billion have no access to clean water. [The Reality of Aid 2000, (Earthscan Publications, 2000), p.10]
• 3 billion have no access to sanitation. [The Reality of Aid 2000, (Earthscan Publications, 2000), p.10]
• 2 billion have no access to electricity. [The Reality of Aid 2000, (Earthscan Publications, 2000), p.10] Poverty In Africa Sponsoring a Child Helps Provide Health Care, Education & Food.
www.ChristianChildrensFund.org Global Food Crisis Surging prices worldwide causing families to suffer. You can help!
www.mercycorps.org/foodcrisis Food for the Hungry Making a difference in hard places to overcome all forms of poverty!
www.FH.org Sponsor a Child A struggling child needs help today Are you ready to change a life?
www.SavetheChildren.org/sponsor Feed Hungry Children Childcare Worldwide feeds children in third-world countries.
www.childcareworldwide.org World Help Children of the World Choir Help for Today Hope for Tomorrow
www.worldhelp.net Real solutions to poverty Turn goodwill into effective action
www.acton.org/impact/ Feed The Children Helping poor, hungry and famine- stricken children worldwide.
www.FeedTheChildren.org Living with Hunger Harrowing film about the reality of surviving with hunger in Ethiopia
We at VINE AND BRANCH WORLD MINISTRIES urge you to click on any one of the above links and see how you can help make a difference in the lives of one of God’s angels. The Children are suffering, and these organizations need your help. We all have a role to play in helping to eliminate poverty in America and through out the world. You can help change the world by becoming a part of this great outreach world ministry and saying, “God here I am, send me.”
NOW IS THE TIME TO TAKE A STAND! Just click on the CONTACT US link above and leave your email address and we will get back with you. You are Divine, and as a Divine Servant of the Lord, you have been given talents that are needed in this Ministry to help take the gospel to the world as Jesus did and at the same time bring releif to those that are in the greatest need.
We at VINE AND BRANCH WORLD MINISTRIES are taking the gospel to the world and changing the world one soul at a time.
NOW WILL YOU BE THE ONE WHO WILL STEP FORWARD AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
Also, take a few more minutes and click on THE FIGHTING WORLD POVERTY link above and watch the video on Poverty in America and the one on World Poverty.
Now we wish each one of you who have read this message and act upon what God has led you to do in your hearts, peace, power, purpose and prosperity.
Your Servant in Christ
Pastor Davis Byars